Whereas, it is the duty of the Suffolk Democratic Committee to issue the Call to Caucus for the purpose of electing 23 Delegates ( 18 Clinton & 5 Sanders) and 6 Alternates (5 Clinton & 1 Sanders) to the 4th Congressional District Democratic Convention and the Virginia Democratic State Convention.
Now therefore be it resolved that the Suffolk Democratic Committee hereby issues the Call to Caucus to convene an unassembled caucus on Monday, April 18, 2016 at 701 Old East Pinner Street, 23434, for the sole purpose of electing 23 Delegates ( 18 Clinton & 5 Sanders) and 6 Alternates (5 Clinton & 1 Sanders) to the 4th Congressional District Convention and the Virginia Democratic State Convention, and the following provisions shall govern the convention, to wit:
1. Pre-filing: Those wishing their names to be placed on the ballot at the Caucus shall pre-file their candidacy (form available at http://sdcvirginia.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016_delegate_prefile.pdf) by 5:00 p.m. April 11, 2016, with the Suffolk Democratic Committee Chair at 6403 Aberdeen Place, Suffolk, VA 23435.
2. Voluntary Administrative Fee: There shall be a voluntary administrative fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for each person filing for delegate, payable to the Suffolk Democratic Committee. Payment of this fee is completely voluntary. No statement is required in order to waive payment.
3. Notice Requirements: The Suffolk Democratic Committee shall cause to be published the time, date, and location of the Caucus at least 7 days prior to the Caucus, but not more than 2 weeks before the Caucus. All notices shall be published on local, district and/or web sites along with social media outlets for the committee.
Notice of the pre-filing deadline for delegate and alternate positions shall be published on local, district and/or web sites along with social media outlets for the committee at least 7 days before the pre-filing deadline but not more than 2 weeks before the deadline.
4. Conduct the Caucus: The doors to the Caucus will be opened at 7:30 p.m. The doors to the caucus will be closed at 8:30 p.m. and no further persons will be permitted to vote. Those in line at 8:30 p.m. will be permitted to complete the check-in process and will be permitted to vote.
5. Affirmative Action: It shall be the duty of each local precinct Democratic chair and the members of each local Democratic Committee to take all feasible steps to encourage broad participation in the delegate selection process. Discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, color, national origin, religion, ethnic identity or economic status in the delegate selection process is prohibited. The Suffolk Democratic Committee shall make every effort to ensure that the Suffolk delegation is half-male and half-female.
6. Call Distribution: It shall be the duty of the Suffolk Democratic Committee Chair to distribute a copy of the Call to Caucus. It shall further be the duty of the Suffolk Democratic Committee Chair to cause this Call to Caucus to be publicized through the news media of Suffolk as is feasible.