Whereas, it is the duty of the Suffolk Democratic Committee to issue the Call to Caucus for the purpose of electing 22 delegates and 11 alternates to the 4th Congressional District Democratic Convention. At the District Convention the delegates and alternates will elect the new 4th District Committee.
Now therefore be it resolved that the Suffolk Democratic Committee hereby issues the Call to Caucus to convene an assembled caucus at 7:00PM, Monday, April 29, 2013 at the Farm Fresh Community Room, 1401 Main Street, Suffolk, Virginia for the sole purpose of electing 22 delegates and 11 alternates to the 4th Congressional District Convention, and the following provisions shall govern the convention, to wit:
1. Prefiling: Those wishing their names to be placed on the ballot at the Caucus shall prefile their candidacy by 5:00 p.m. April 24, 2013, with the Suffolk Democratic Committee Chair or his/her designee.
Contact information and details for submitting forms is at the end of this notice.
2. Voluntary Administrative Fee: There shall be a voluntary administrative fee of 10 dollars for each person filing for delegate, payable to the Suffolk Democratic Committee. Payment of this fee is completely voluntary. No statement is required in order to waive payment.
3. Notice Requirements: The Suffolk Democratic Committee shall cause to be published the time, date, and location of the Caucus at least 7 days prior to the Caucus, but not more than 2 weeks before the Caucus.
4. Conduct the Caucus: The doors to the Caucus will be opened at 7:00 p.m. Check-in will occur between 7:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. The doors to the caucus will be closed at 8:00 pm and no further persons will be permitted to enter. Those in line at 8:00 pm will be permitted to complete the check-in process and will be permitted to participate.
The Chair of the Suffolk Committee or his/her designee, shall be the Temporary Chair of the Caucus and shall appoint a Temporary Secretary and such other Temporary Officers of the Caucus as is deemed appropriate. Until the adoption of the Rules, the order of the Caucus shall be determined by the Chair of the Caucus, subject to the approval of the Caucus participants, Robertâ€™s Rules of Order, and the Virginia Democratic Party Plan.
5. Affirmative Action: It shall be the duty of each local precinct Democratic chair and the members of each local Democratic Committee to take all feasible steps to encourage broad participation in the delegate selection process. Discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, color, national origin, religion, ethnic identity or economic status in the delegate selection process is prohibited. The Suffolk Democratic Committee shall make every effort to ensure that the Suffolk delegation is half-male and half-female.
6. Call Distribution: It shall be the duty of the Suffolk Democratic Committee Chair to distribute a copy of the Call to Caucus.
It shall further be the duty of the Suffolk Democratic Committee Chair to cause this Call to Caucus to be publicized through the news media of Suffolk as is feasible.
Candidate Forms are available at the following links. People unable to access the documents using these links may contact Benjamin Goldberg at 757 651-1045, Post Office Box 3458
Suffolk, Virginia 23439-3458, or use the contact form at http://sdcvirginia.org/contact/.
Mail forms to: Suffolk Democratic Committee
Post Office Box 3458
Suffolk, Virginia 23439-3458
Contact Benjamin Goldberg 757 651-1045 or use the contact form at http://sdcvirginia.org/contact/ for details or to arrange alternative methods of submitting.
Suffolk Democratic Committee Chair
Authorized by the Suffolk Democratic Committee of Virginia